When looking for a new laptop, there are a number of factors to consider, one of the most essential of which is when you want to make the purchase. Laptop discounts are most common around major holidays, but warehouse stores like Costco and Sam’s Club are also good places to look for laptop deals all year.
Naturally, the best time to purchase a new laptop is when you truly require one. Your reasons for purchasing a laptop will also play a big role on how you shop for one. If your existing computer breaks down and you need a laptop immediately, for example, your shopping habits may differ from those who can afford to wait for better discounts.
In this article, I’ll cover how to shop for the best price on a new laptop at any time, when you’ll see the most laptop deals and how to know when it’s time to make your purchase.
Things To Consider When Buying a Laptop
How you shop for a new laptop is affected by your timeline for when you need it. The majority of the year’s biggest offers will be available throughout the holiday season, which includes Memorial Day and, of course, Black Friday (or rather, Cyber Monday). Deals are also worth checking out during Amazon’s Prime Day and the back-to-school season.
That being said, life happens, and you can’t always wait until the holidays to buy new stuff. Whether you’ve been forced to buy a new laptop out of the blue or you’ve simply decided it’s time to start exploring, here are the most important factors to consider while shopping for the best deals:
- Identify WHEN you need a new computer. Do you have to make your purchase within the next week, or can you wait for the best discounts? Price comparison tools like Google Shopping can help you find the best daily bargains, but keeping an eye on the price of a given model over time will prevent you from regretting your purchase later.
- Figure out WHAT KIND of laptop you want. Unless you’re going to be doing a lot of high-powered image processing, video editing, or gaming, most people can get by with a 4GB Chromebook. Chromebooks were initially buggy, slow, and generally difficult to use, but now they’re fantastic. They’re fast, easy to use, and most importantly, cheap. $199 can get you an excellent Chromebook. They have decent battery life, you can get on the internet quickly, and they’re easy to travel with.
- Don’t overspend on special features or gimmicks. Powerful, high-end laptops with niche features are rarely necessary for the daily usage of the average consumer. Finding external storage and accessories is a great way to upgrade your laptop and user experience while avoiding the high prices of already-souped-up models.
When You’ll See the Best Laptop Deals
So, when is the best time to take the plunge and make the purchase? Based on data taken from laptop deals and general market trends since 2016, it turns out that most of the deals showed up during November around Black Friday (though, companies like Best Buy, Dell, and Lenovo also offer deals throughout the rest of the year).
It’s not uncommon to come across a few laptop offers or promotions throughout the month, especially in February and August. So, if you have some time before you have to buy, keep an eye on the costs. This will give you the clearest sense of how much the laptop you want costs on average and what a reasonable bargain price for the model is.
If you come across an offer that is much less expensive than what you’ve seen previously, don’t hesitate to take advantage of it! Many of these discounts are only available for one day.
How to Get the Best Price on a Laptop
There are a few things you can do to ensure that you save the most money possible, whether you’re shopping during Christmas markdowns or attempting to get the greatest deal at other times of the year. Always remember to follow these steps before making a purchase:
- Compare Prices! Use a tool like Google Shopping and search for the laptop you’re thinking about buying. Check the prices available at other stores just before you make your purchase to avoid missing out on a better deal.
- Check out the item’s price history: Websites like CamelCamelCamel are great for comparing a laptop’s current price to prices that have been tracked in the past. Of course, nothing beats watching the price on a specific laptop yourself!
- Weed out fake reviews: Tools like Fakespot can help you determine how good a laptop actually is at Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy and others. If fake reviewers have contributed to ratings, websites like Fakespot can let you know if most of the reviews on a particular item are legitimate.
When you’re looking for the best deal, don’t be afraid to shop refurbished if you don’t need a very new model. Just be sure to familiarize yourself with the warranty and other terms that come with the “Used” nature, return information, and seller information before making your purchase.